Hot Cross Buns
- 65g Koko Spread
- 50g caster sugar
- 250ml Koko Unsweetened Milk
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 400g strong white flour, plus extra for kneading
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g sultanas
- 50g cranberries
- Sunflower oil (for greasing)
- 25g strong white flour
- 1½ tsp maple syrup
- Apricot jam (diluted with water)
Share this recipe
- Heat the Koko Dairy Free Spread in a saucepan gently until melted, stirring with a wooden spoon. When melted remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and Koko Dairy Free Unsweetened.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture, stir and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, salt and mixed spice in a separate bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour the warm liquid mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a soft ball.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes to make a smooth, pliable dough.
- Knead the fruit into the dough, a little at a time, for 2–3 minutes, or until evenly distributed. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for 1½ hours, or until doubled in size and spongy to touch.
- Return the dough to the work surface and knead lightly, then divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Place the buns around 1½cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to prove for 50 minutes, or until risen. The buns should be just touching each other.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and remove the cling film from the buns.
- To make the cross decoration, mix the flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water to make a smooth paste. It should have a thick dribbling consistency.
- Spoon the paste into a piping bag. Pipe lines of the flour paste on top of each row of the buns in one direction and then the other.
- Bake the buns in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.
- Brush the warm buns with diluted apricot jam and leave to cool a little before eating and leave to cool.