Chocolate Orange Sticky Hot Cross Buns
- 200ml Koko Unsweetened Milk
- 40g Koko Spread
- 14g Dried yeast
- 470g Strong bread flour
- tsp Mixed spiced
- 50g Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 80g Sultanas
- 30g Mixed peel
- 30g dried chopped apricots
- 100g Dark chocolate drops
- Zest of 2 oranges
Sticky Orange Syrup
- Juice from oranges used for zest
- 50g Sugar
- 75g Plain flour
Share this recipe
- Put Koko Unsweetened and Koko Spread into a saucepan on a medium heat until it just starts to warm. Then pour into a large bowl.
- Mix the dried yeast into the liquid.
- In a separate bowl sift the bread flour and spices and mix together. Then add the liquid mixture, sugar and salt until it forms a dough.
- On a clean surface, knead the dough for 5-10 minutes, until springy and elastic
- Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel to prove for an 1 hour.
- Whilst dough is proving, in a separate bowl combine the sultanas, mixed peel, dark chocolate, apricots and the zest of 2 oranges.
- Make the syrup by combining the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan on a low to medium heat until the syrup thickens. Take off the heat and place in the fridge for later.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat oven to 190C.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knead in the chocolate, sultanas, mixed peel and orange zest until evenly spread.
- Divide dough into 12 even pieces, roll into balls, place on lined baking tray (evenly spaced) and cover with lightly oiled cling film to rise for 30 minutes.
- Whilst proving mix a small amount of water, a little at a time, with the flour until a smooth thick paste.
- When the dough is ready either use a piping bag or a spoon to create crosses on the buns.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown then place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled brush over the orange syrup.